9/29/08

Reno, Nevada: Pyramid Lake

On Sunday Terry & Marcie, MLA and I drove out to Pyramid Lake. It's an amazing sensation to be driving along in the desert and come over a small rise in the road and 'viola', there in front of you lies a beautiful sparkling blue lake. Surrounded by desert, this lake has a small island just off shore that, sure enough, looks like a pyramid.


Not a lot going on at the lake. Small number of boaters, especially wake boarders, use the lake. It perfect for water skiing or wake boarding since the weather is warm to hot, very little rain or clouds, and mile after mile of shoreline.


After enjoying the view we headed back downtown to catch the last remnants of Reno's Street Vibrations. The vendors had to be off of the main drag, Virginia Street, by 5 pm. Since we had parked on Virginia Street, we too had to be gone by 5 pm when they opened the main thoroughfare to traffic once again.


Since we had to move the bikes we decided to head back to our respective homes and meet up again for dinner at Terry & Marcie's house. We brought the steaks that had been marinating for a couple of days and they provided the salads and a great potato dish.



After dinner we relaxed in their backyard around a gas fire pit. At some point we cooked a few "som'ores" and enjoyed the stars in the clear sky. The weatherman is calling for rain this evening however Terry said to take it with a grain of salt. They have over 300 days of sunshine here in Reno and most of their precipitation comes during the winter.


We'll see. Just to be safe I loaded the motorcycle on the back of the RV before dinner. Don't like loading and tying down the bike during the rain.



The tough part was saying good bye to Marcie & Terry. They are such good friends and we miss seeing them more often. Whenever you get together with them they open their heart and their home so wide you can't help but feel special.


As always the time with them flew by. One week is never enough. Hopefully we'll see each other over the winter when we are in Arizona. They might be able to come down and see us as well as Steve & Cindy who live just outside of Phoenix.


I have to tell you a quick story. On Friday's ride out to and around Lake Tahoe I observed Steve and Cindy taking a 'big swig' of clear liquid from one of those flat flask bottles that hold liqueur. It was clear so I figured they were having a taste of Vodka for the ride. I quickly decided to make sure they were in front of me rather than behind me since I didn't want anyone who had been drinking to run into me.


Well, Steve and Cindy flew home today and asked Marcie & Terry to give MLA & I a little gift. Know what it was? Yep, a flask shaped bottle filled with clear liquid. Except on closer inspection I find out that it's water that Harley Davidson sells in these flask shaped bottles. Suddenly the truth of what I saw on Friday was clear. It was a really hot day and they were taking big swigs of water from Harley Davidson. I felt like a real fool thinking they had been hitting the sauce at 11 am in the morning.


Turns out, like MLA & I, they hardly drink at all. I owe them a big apology the next time I see them. They probably thought I was some kind of nut on Friday always making them go before me. Oh well, not the first time someone thought I was a little nutty...


Tomorrow we leave for Las Vegas. We'll spend the night on the road about half way to Vegas tomorrow evening and then arrive in Vegas Tuesday afternoon. At least that's the plan. As usual, we reserve the right to change our mind if something better comes along. You never know.


See Ya!

0 comments:

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map