9/19/08

Boise, Idaho: Dreaming of Alaska

MLA & I spent the day by the pool, enjoying the great weather before a front moved in with high winds and a little rain. Really enjoyed the day after running around the last two days getting the ac fixed.

We are considering a trip to Alaska next year with a group of fellow Tiffin owners. Not sure if it will work out or not but it sure would be fun to go back to Alaska.

Well, for me, its going back to Alaska. It will MLA's first time there. I lived there for two years when I was kindergarten age. I remember bit & pieces of our trip to Alaska and our time 'up' there.
We towed a loooong trailer behind our car (a station wagon I think) all the way from Maryland to Alaska. A distance of ~4300 miles. This was in 1960 before the Interstate system was complete. And roads through the mountains were steep, narrow, and poorly maintained. How my parents did it I'll never know, but maybe that's where I caught the 'travel bug'. Who knows?
I also (vaguely) remember my sister Dana climbing up a ladder and getting on top of our trailer at some point during our time in Alaska. That would make her about 3 years old.
No one saw her up there but me. My Mom came outside to investigate why I was standing just outside the door yelling "Jump! Jump!". When she looked up and saw that I was yelling for my sister to jump off the roof she quickly got Dana down the ladder and proceeded to swat my behind... more from nerves than for any other reason, I'm sure. What did I know? I was only five. And I'm sure I was planning to catch her. At least I think I was planning to catch her...
Anyhow, I've wanted to return to Alaska almost since we got back to Maryland in 1963. Maybe next year I'll get the chance to take our motor home to Alaska and stay for a couple of months. MLA would prefer a cruise however I can't see taking a cruise and being in Alaska for a week or so Vs spending the same money and being able to stay in Alaska for a couple of months.
Actually, MLA just afraid the weather will be too cold for her now that she is a 'snowbird'. After all, when you ask someone from Alaska how long they have lived there, they typically respond with the number of winters. It's a badge of honor for Alaskans. I myself lived in Alaska for two winters. Very cool.
Remember I said I washed the RV yesterday and as a result I expected it to rain? Well guess what? While MLA and I ran to Sam's Club for a few items it rained here at the campground but just a little. That would have been OK but immediately after it stopped raining, while those big raindrops hung on the side of the RV, a dust storm blew through. Only lasted a few minutes however the RV is covered in dirty spots. I mean, it looks ridiculous because its clean and shiny in between the dried raindrops of dust.
Oh well. It's always just a matter of time before it gets dirty. When we leave here Tuesday the windshield, at a minimum will get covered in insects. Somehow bugs fight each other to be first to throw themselves at that big window going down the road.
See Ya!

0 comments:

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map