1/15/09

Las Cruces, New Mexico: Old Mesilla Plaza

Today Mary Lynn and I explored Las Cruces. Well to be more accurate we explored a portion of Las Cruces, specifically we spent time exploring the Old Mesilla Plaza section of town, which dates to the 1800's.

The Plaza is the center of the old village and there are numerous shops and restaurants all around the central square and the surrounding streets. Of course, MLA had to explore all of the shops. The colors of the goods for sale are spectacular and the selection of books at the books store concentrated on two of our favorite topics: local characters/outlaws and adventure travel.
I didn't have any problem leaving the shops without making a purchase however the books store was an incredible challenge. So many books crying out to me: Read Me! Read Me! Read Me!

I think one day, when I'm too old to drive the RV, I'm going to open a small bookstore. There I'' sit by the small fireplace and read. No matter that the book store will be located in a warm climate. Nope, I'll still have a fireplace, comfortable chairs, lots of natural lighting, and enough help to make sure I can perform the incredibly important job of pre-reading the books.

We had lunch at Josefina's Old Gate Cafe, where the food was delicious and reasonably priced; two of my favorite attributes when discussing food. We then explored the local church which was built around 1900. Absolutely beautiful.

On the way out MLA twisted my arm to look into one more shop. It was here that my resolve weakened for a minute. This shop, Solamente de Mesilla, specializes in items from Southern New Mexico. The pottery wasn't my weakness not the other crafts and gifts. Nope, it was the salsa.
I probably could have made it out of the store without making a purchase however the store owner's do not fight fair. They had ~20 different bottles of salsa organized at a 'tasting bar'. Wow - not fair at all.

In any case I bought a jar of Dick's Cafe Hot Salsa - a recent award winner that is spicy and hot! I love it. MLA won't even touch the jar as she's not much for really spicy food/salsa however I really love it Here's the web site http://www.solamentedemesilla.com/ ; not everything in the store is on the web site however some of their salsas and hot sauces are available.

This evening we relaxed back at the RV. All in all a terrific and very relaxing day in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

See Ya!

0 comments:

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map