2/5/09

Casa Grande: Best Adult Toy Store On Earth: Best Buy

After a full day of water volleyball, buying a bicycle for myself, and grilling a terrific steak dinner, I noticed the sun was going down and it looked like it was going to be a spectacular sunset. All the conditions were right for a very colorful sunset.

I knew I would have to drive out in the desert a little bit if I wanted to get a few pictures without all of the clutter that can ruin photos. For instance, our current RV site is very nice however our views of the sunset are 'cluttered' by lots of overhead wires and light poles in the distance. Your eyes adjust for this clutter when you are viewing the sunset in person however when you are looking at a photograph this clutter almost jumps out at you.

I didn't really get very far from the RV park before I started losing the light. Not a big deal however I need to locate a good spot to take pictures at sunset, one that's not too far from the park. So far all of the areas I've explored still have defects: overhead lines, light/power poles, buildings/structures, etc.

During my mad dash I noticed the car was very low on gas so I hit the gas station. No big deal right? Except it brought me into the gravitational pull of the world's best toy store for adults: Best Buy. And like a large meteor that passes too close to a planet's gravitational pull, I was sucked into the local Best Buy store.

I love their stores. I have spent hours and hours in their stores. Best Buy stores are filled with great products that feed all of my passions.

After having been in the computer industry for over 30 years you'd think I'd be a little tired of them and yet, I enjoy using and playing with computers as much now as I did when I first started as a Systems Engineer for HP. Evaluating all of the cool devices and researching which one is the best one for Mary Lynn and I is something that can keep me busy for hours, if not days.


They have cameras of every style and description: point & shoot, DSLR, and HD video cameras. Stereos with surround sound so you can 'feel' the movie you are watching deep in your bones. Phones and Blackberry devices so we can communicate 24x7. GPS systems so we'll never get lost again in our lifetime. DVD players that show the latest movies in full HD, some with Tivo built-in so you can record any show in order to watch it when your schedule permits (not that any of us have 'free' time anymore. And don't get me started on the HD TV's: big TV's & bigger TV's, plasma, LCD, rear-projection, contrast ratios, multiple inputs and outputs, refresh rates, viewing angles.

Aggggggggh! I love this stuff.
Mary Lynn gets a little frustrated because I'll look at all the different models of whatever we intend to buy, and then evaluate them by constructing spreadsheets that compare all of the features, prices, resale value, service, reliability, etc. You name it and I've put it in a spread sheet.

I do all of this detailed study and evaluation to ensure that whatever we buy, it is the best combination of price & features available, within our budget. I get all excited once I figure out the best solution for us, go out and buy the item, and rush home to show MLA. By the time I get home I am so excited to tell MLA about the item I can't stand it.

And do you know her response? "That's nice Dear" is about as excited as she gets -- talk about busting my bubble.

So I have to settle for knowing, without a doubt, whatever I have selected is the best fit for us. MLA could not care less.... And she is convinced all this time and energy are not necessary. In fact I'm pretty sure she only tolerates all of this so that I don't mess with her stuff or get underfoot with her.

See Ya!

0 comments:

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map