5/19/09

Terrace, British Columbia, Canada

First I want to say hello to Claire, John and Dominic, our next door neighbor's kids from when we lived in Maryland. They follow along on the blog and when they saw the pictures of the black bear and the grizzly bear they told their mom they want Mary Lynn and I to see a polar bear.

I want Claire, John and Dominic to know we will keep our eyes open for polar bears and if we see one we will take a picture and post it on the blog. Stay tuned!

We woke up in Vanderhoof Canada this morning to almost two inches of snow. What? It's as if spring will never arrive.


I almost killed myself this morning when I went up on the RV's snow covered fiberglass roof. I was sliding around like crazy while sweeping the snow off of the slide toppers. It could not have been more slippery if someone had put oil on the fiberglass. I got off the roof and used my collapsible ladder to access the slide toppers from the ground -- much safer although still a little slippery.
Anyhow, we left in the snow and spent most of the day in and out of rain, snow showers, sleet, etc. Not once did the sun come all the way out or even burn a small hole through the heavy cloud cover. Oh well, still an incredibly beautiful part of the world.
Many of the deciduous tress have just leafed out and the variations in color (well variations in green) are spectacular.
The rain/snow must have made the wildlife stay in bed late today. All we saw were a few deer, a coyote and a fox. All of them looked like drowned rats & downright uncomfortable....

Not a lot to report. We are staying in Terrace, BC which is about 90 miles / 140 kilometers from Prince Rupert, where we will board the ferry early Thursday morning.

Can't wait, I should be able to get some good pictures of the inside passage as we head north.
By the way -- Now that I have a good Internet connection I posted some additional pictures on the last few posts. And the last picture on today's post is from the Columbia Icefields and is called the Crowsfoot Glacier. It is a beautiful example of a hanging glacier. Again, its hard for the pictures to capture the wonderful deep blue color of the ice - however I'll keep trying.
See Ya!

0 comments:

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map