2/27/09

Casa Grande, AZ: Asking The Dreaded Question


Mary Lynn had her hair cut this afternoon so she let me take her out to dinner tonight. She won a free hair cut at a recent event here at Palm Creek.  MLA was pretty excited about winning the haircut although she tells me the hair cutter didn't follow any of her instructions on how she wanted her hair cut. 

So first thing when she gets home this afternoon she asks me the dreaded question "Do you like my hair?". 

That question is among the most dreaded question that men get asked. There are a few others like a) do you like this dress? b) do these pants make my butt look big c) do you think she is cute?, etc. Huge warning bells (should) go off for a man when asked those or similar questions.

Back to the haircut. Actually, I do like it although it's very different from how MLA usually does her hair. Even though I liked it I wasn't sure what to say. I mean, how many times have I said "I really like it" only to have MLA let me know she doesn't like it? And then give me a look that says "How could you possibly like this haircut when I don't like it; what's wrong with you?". All with a look; no words necessary. 

Guys just want a hint, an indication of which way this conversation is headed and how we are supposed to answer the (hair, dress, pants, etc) question before it gets asked. We need some direction from a lady when she asks us any of these questions.

The skeptics among you will think men are just trying to give 'the' answer which will result in the most loving. Ha - how can you be so cynical? Men are just naturally nuturing and caring...

Here the process that I've developed over many years of marriage; use at your own risk, and as they say "your mileage may vary":
  1. If MLA likes it and I like it, I tell her yep, I like it. I never say I love it in case she decides in a day or two she doesn't like it.
  2. If MLA doesn't like it and I don't like it, I tell her I liked her hair the way it was. Which is the truth even if she is 'tired' of the way it was.
  3. If MLA doesn't like it and I do, I tell her she's being too hard on herself, it looks better than she thinks. Occasionally she lives with it for a few days however usually, once she's made up her mind, she stays with her original decision and the new (haircut, dress, pants, etc) disappears.
  4. The really tricky one is if MLA likes it and I don't, I tell her (truthfully) I need some time to get used to her new look. Usually its a matter of I'm not used to seeing her with a different look and, within a few days, I end up liking it as much as she does.  Usually I end up liking it within a few days.
Responses 1, 2 and 3 are the easier responses to the question. It gets trickier when you find yourself in situation #4. Remember, these are life and death moments for us guys. A man could end up having to cook dinner for himself or tuck his own self in at night. 

Why women ask guys these questions all the time I'll never know. I mean, we all know that women get together they universally agree that men are clueless and have little/no sense of style. Unless they are gay, in which case the guy is not (usually) a spouse... but that's another story altogether. 

So I like her new haircut & MLA thinks she likes it. The truth is it will take a couple of days of here doing her hair herself before either of us knows if we like it. Which translates to: MLA will decide in a couple of days if she likes it or not and then she'll let me know if I like it or not.

In any case, to celebrate MLA's new look we went out to dinner at the Olive Garden. I don't know what it is about the Olive Garden however there is always a wait to get a table, even during the week.

Now I know some of you are saying "not if you go early". Well you are not living in the retirement center of the universe where 'older' couple's start going to dinner around 3:30 or 4:00. Many of these folks are in bed asleep by 8:30 or 9. So going to dinner early could easily be confused with going to lunch -- not good. Going to dinner early here in Arizona does not prevent waiting in line. Actually you can probably do better if you are willing to wait a little later in the evening. 

While we were waiting for our table, MLA was nice enough to let me go and take a few photos of tonight's sunset, which was just getting started. Is she a great lady or what?

We plan on going for a ride on the Harley tomorrow morning. We have tickets to a play here at Palm Creek that starts at 3pm. I told you thinks happen early here! Actually the play is offered at 3 pm or 7 pm; some good friends already had tickets for the 3 pm and asked us to join them. Means I'll have to skip water volleyball. Oh the sacrifices I make for marital happiness. 

On Sunday we plan to have dinner with Mark & Karen K at their home in Scottsdale. I worked with Mark for years and it will be great getting caught up with Mark & Karen and their two kids.

Always something fun to do here!

See Ya! 
  

1 comments:

Silex Radar Board said...

Hey ya'll! Mom, Rach and I absolutely LOVE your new haircut!!! It's very trendy and looks great on you. Don't be afraid to strut your stuff. Change is a good thing. Pop, truer words have never been spoken. I wrote down situations 1 - 4 and put them in my wallet. Keep preachin' the truth about women - from here on out I will be taking notes...

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map