1/6/09

Red Bay, Alabama: Dreamin' of RV'ing Alaska & Visiting Sarah Palin

Tonight we watched a DVD I received for Christmas called "Alaska by RV" (pretty imaginative title don't you think?). You'll never guess what it was about...

Actually Mary Lynn and I are seriously considering going to Alaska this summer. I had been thinking we would spend the winter in Arizona after which we would possibly spend the summer back in Maryland. A short time later, after remembering all of the yard work and chores that need doing at home during the summer, my normal excellent judgement prevailed and I quickly came to my senses.

In addition, several members of the Tiffin RV Network (TRVN is a group of fellow Tiffin RV owners) are planning a tour of Alaska this summer. We had considered going with one of the companies that organize RV travel caravans for a hefty fee. These folks perform all of the planning and book campgrounds, activities, etc for a group of 15-20 RV's.

We liked the idea of going with experienced RV travelers however disliked the idea of going with so many RV's in one caravan. Plus we disliked the idea of being tied to their agenda. For us, RV'ing is all about the flexibility of travelling as fast OR as sloooow as you want.

The group from TRVN appears to be 3 or 4 RV's that will travel the same route, sometimes together and sometimes independently. Plus we will have some of the 'saved' money that goes to 'normal' caravan organizers to use for activities: glacier tours by boat, flight seeing, fishing charters, ferry travel, etc. Anyway you cut it, a trip to Alaska is expensive.

This year is Alaska's 50th anniversary of it's becoming a state of the US so there are lots of exciting events and celebrations planned. Maybe I'll stop in Wasilla, Alaska and visit Sarah Palin -- I'll see if she really can see Russia from her porch... and maybe see if she has any good book recommendations.

The DVD was from the year 2000 and was very informative. A little dated however most of the information stills applies, only the prices have changed. And hopefully a few more roads are paved. Actually I've heard most of the roads are paved however due to the extremes in temperature change the roads require constant construction.

The DVD gave us some great tips and I'm really excited about going to Alaska. Actually, I should say going to Alaska again -- I lived in Alaska for ~2 years when I was just a wee lad. Around 5 years of age I think, so my memory is fairly limited. Plus I'm sure what I do recall is colored by the Kodachrome effect that impacts all human memory after many, many years. Alright already, it wasn't that long ago -- only 47 years have gone by although those years seem to have gone by in a flash.

Before too many more years flash by, MLA & I want to enjoy all this country has to offer -- and with nine months of RV travel last year we are off to a good start. Maybe we'll be able to color in Alaska on our map of visited states after this summer is over.

Rained all day here in Red Bay, Alabama so it was a perfect opportunity to get the RV organized. Mostly we know where everything goes now so it's just a matter of getting everything we removed while in Maryland back in it's rightful place. Made a lot of progress today so we celebrated with the Alaska DVD.

As usual it's hurry up and wait here in Red Bay for the warranty work to be performed -- had such a busy day I almost missed taking my nap - almost.

See Ya!

0 comments:

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map