1/31/09

Casa Grande, Arizona: Red Cross & Speed Bleeders

The Red Cross held a blood drive at Palm Creek RV & Golf Resort today. Mary Lynn had never given blood before although she has tried. Once she was sent home for weighing less than 100 pounds and another time she was sent home since she was anemic. Combine those two times with her fear of needles and you have someone in their fifties who has never donated blood.

I have donated blood many times; enough times to have earned a few of the 1 gallon pins the Red Cross gives to frequent donors. And I was never sent home for weighing less than 100 pounds in my life. I was sent home once when I arrived at the blood drive location riding my motorcycle.

Not that the Red Cross discriminates against motorcyclists; in fact some of the technicians have gone out of their way to let me know motorcyclists are some of their best 'customers'. IN any case, they are concerned donating blood will leave you a little light headed and that might effect your sense of balance -- so no donating if your means of transportation that day is a motorcycle.

MLA went first and she did great. When I was donating the technician turns to me and says " OK speed bleeder, you are going to mess up my routine if you keep filling the bag so quickly".

Now , I have to tell you, I have been labeled ' speedy' with regards to a number of topics and quite honestly, no guy wants the moniker of 'speedy' when it comes to bleeding. I mean, in the event of an accident where bleeding is involved, no one wants to be in a hurry.

That said, it was great to donate blood. They say every person who donates saves three lives. I don't know if that's true or not however I do know donating blood is a quick and easy way to help others when they are most needy.

Only one drawback to donating blood here today; I was banned from playing Water Volleyball. No getting the bandage wet was reason number one and no heavy exercise for 12 hours was the other reason.


Oh well, I'll get an hour or so of water volleyball in before going to watch the Super Bowl with friends.

See Ya!

0 comments:

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map