6/26/08

Red Bay, AL: Would You Like That Gift Wrapped?


Progress! Today we made great progress on completing the items on the warranty punch list for the RV. Completed 15 of the 19 items on the list. I won't bore you with the entire list however I'll mention a couple of the more interesting (to me) items.

When we first met with the service manager I was explaining one of the items on our list was glue leaking from a window, which had just started a day or two earlier. He explained they did not use glue or anything like glue in any of the windows/walls. He asked us to check the cabinet above the window. I almost questioned his suggestion since I had just looked in the cabinet the day before but fortunately did not say a word.

When we travel we put the fruit bowl in that cabinet and apparently a banana had fallen out of the fruit bowl and landed behind some pots. In the heat the banana liquefied inside the skin and slowly leaked out the back of the cabinet, along the edge of the window and finally off the bottom right corner of the window onto the counter top, whereupon it had the look and consistency, if not the smell, of glue.

The service manager had his teeth clenched together so hard trying not to laugh it was killing him. He told us our 'secret was safe with him' but I'm pretty sure that story made its way into the next staff meeting.

Thing is, I thought I smelled a banana 'past its prime' the day before so I threw out the bananas in the fruit bowl along with an apple or two for good measure. Who knew I should have kept digging? I'd be embarrassed if anyone finds out so this is just between you and me....

In any case, we have all of the items completed except for the paint shop items. Not sure how long it will take to get into the paint shop. If the wait is too long we may just pack up and hit the road. I'm feeling the need to 'move on'.

We did get two items installed on the 'runway' which is a where the Tiffin service technicians have you take your RV to have non-warranty worked performed after hours. We had two vent covers installed yesterday so we can open the vents anytime: in the rain, while going down the road, etc.

Today I had a Surge Guard installed. This is a device that protects all of your electronics from, well, surges. Surges are spikes in the electrical power that can, if you are not protected, can destroy the electronics in your RV. TV's, DVD players, Satellite radio, A/C's, computers, etc. etc. etc. are all sensitive to power fluctuations. I've been concerned about not having this and it just made sense to get this installed by someone who knows what they are doing, as opposed to me doing it myself.

One last item we are looking at having installed on the runway is a ceiling fan in the bedroom. The bedroom is a relatively small area and can feel a little 'closed in' sometimes. These fans are just the ticket to getting a little air without running the ac.

Tomorrow's my birthday so I get to take MLA out to dinner at the place of her choice. Don't ask, that's just how we do it.

She did ask me if I wanted the Surge Guard or the vent covers as my birthday gift. I'm thinking the vent covers should be my Fathers Day gift and the Surge Guard should be my birthday gift. I figured turn about is fair play. If necessary RV safety items (my justification to spend the money was these items are all need to keep the RV/us 'safe') are to be my birthday gift then the same should apply to her birthday gift.

So i asked her if the ceiling fan could be her birthday gift, she just laughed and said only if ceiling fan has jewelry attached....

Until next time -- See Ya!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DALE! Hope it was an enjoyable dinner.

Love,
Richard, Debbie and Chance

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map