4/4/08

Charleston, SC: Doing The Charleston Tour



As part of the Tiffin RV Network Rally, we took a 90 minute guided tour of historic Charleston. This small 26 passenger bus picked us up & dropped us off at the campground, so no driving & especially, no parking in Charleston.





This tour, called "Doing The Charleston", was a little different than most tours. Oh, it still had the tour guide dressed up in character, the lame stories, the inane jokes followed by 'boy, this is a tough crowd', and the subtle hints about tour guides starving without tips.

No, what made this tour different was the use of a TV. As you drove past various museums and historically significant homes/mansions & churches, the tour company projected pictures of the insides of the building and many photographs from historical archives. All set to music & very well done. You then had a better idea about which sites you wanted to come back and visit later.

The picture above is a replica of the USS Hunley (or is it CSS Hunley). The first confederate submarine that sunk a ship during the Civil War. Used a 'torpedo' attached to the end of a long boom. Although not a long enough boom. When the ship blew and sank it also took out the Hunley and it's brave crew. When you see this up close you have a new found respect for anyone who quiets their fears and climbs into a war machine of any type.

The original Hunley was raised a few years ago and is now in a historical restoration tank several miles up river.

Our tour guide was a George Carlin look-alike (impersonator???). Without the insightful comments/stories and without the delicious word play Carlin is known for. He did, however, have the voice and timing, if not the material, of George Carlin.

In any case, this tour was excellent albeit exhausting; MLA & I needed a power nap after such a full morning. The rest of the day was spent reading and, well, reading some more.



For dinner we hooked up with about 8 other couples from the Tiffin rally and went to a seafood buffet. Food was pretty good and the company was excellent. Everyone talked about where they had been and where they were headed this summer and fall. Lots of fun. And lots of ideas for places we need to visit, especially out west. I've been thinking we may travel in a big loop around the US this summer and fall and then do Alaska next year. No firm plans at this time but that how we are leaning.

Tomorrow the men are fixing breakfast for the women so I'll be over at the Tiffin Rally Pavilion starting at 7:30 am. I had almost forgotten there are two 7:30's in each day....

Still planning to arrive back home next Wednesday; not sure how long we'll be home but I guessing only 3-4 weeks or so.

Oh, guess who has a hot date? Me.

Jenna Kate called and asked me to be her date for a 'formal' employee appreciation dinner in mid-April. I took her to a Children's Hospital Benefit as my date a couple of years ago and now she is returning the favor. Too cool.

I got rid of all my tux and all my suits; guess I'll wear one of those t-shirts with a tux silk screened on the front & back. No one will notice me anyhow. Every time I go out with either of my two beautiful daughters, all eyes are on them. As it should be. In any case, I can't wait.





See Ya!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I visit and explore your blog I notice that we have same though of our blog..If you have time please visit my blog Travels and Tours. Or if you like we can link ex-change to our blog to get more traffic and more visitors..Thnx

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map