3/5/09

Casa Grande, AZ: Wood Workers Shave It Close In Palm Creek

The members of the wood shop here at Casa Grande Golf & RV Resort held an exhibition, highlighting the items they have built over the past few months. Mary Lynn and I really enjoyed examining these items. And you should have seen the pride of the wood makers displaying their handiwork. Some of them just started woodworking this year. One guy has only been doing this for two seasons however his work was amazing. I'll bet he spends almost all of his time in the wood shop.

All the items were special however my favorite items are those that have been turned on the lathe. Lots of 
bowls with intricate wood designs as well as vases and ginger jars. 

I couldn't figure out how the inside of the vases and jars had been turned on the lathe. Turns out there is a really simple explanation although you can't tell just by looking at the pieces themselves. I found out that to create a vase/jar you first create two bowls with identical sized openings and then 
glue those two bowls together. Amazing; again you couldn't tell by looking.

Mostly I'm going to let the pictures speak for themselves. Truly amazing.


In order to raise money for the wood shop the woodworkers held a silent auction and a raffle; in addition a few of the items were for sale by their creator(s). To my knowledge we did not win either the raffle or any of the silent auctions; I know for a fact we did not buy any of the items. At least I think I know that for a fact; maybe I 
should check with MLA. Only she knows 'for sure'.  

Afterwards I took MLA to a dentist since she had a tooth that has been bothering here. While she was 'under the drill', I took off and explored that part of town. 

I found the local Casa Grande Airport and, as it turns out, the airport is hosting the "Cactus Fly-in" this weekend. I took a few picture at the airport in case I can't get back there this weekend however I'm sure going to try to get there. Should be lots of interesting aircraft (and aircraft people) in Casa Grande this weekend.

See Ya!

0 comments:

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map