4/8/09

Casa Grande, AZ: Getting Ready To Hit The Road (Again)

The last few weeks have seen a mass exodus from the park, a trend that will continue for another two weeks or so. After that, just about the only park inhabitants will be the full time park residents, numbering 600+ intrepid lovers of Arizona branded desert heat. Sure, there will still be a few more RVers that depart in late April and May, however most of that train has left the station.

As for Mary Lynn and I , we have been getting everything ready to go. It's a mixture of ordering, repairing, installing and cleaning whatever needs to be ordered, repaired, installed and/or cleaned. 

We ordered some additional camera gear, including a video camera which we will use on our trip to Alaska. In addition we have ordered a trickle charger for the Toad which should prevent the battery from being depleted on those long travel days. The CR-V's battery is used for the toads lights and braking system. Most of the time it's no problem for the battery but occasionally events occur that conspire to drain that puppy. It does not happen often however happening just once anywhere in British Columbia, Alaska, or the Yukon is bad news. At least that was the justification I gave MLA. If your spouse isn't sure you need that new piece of gear just let her know it's a safety item!

The repairs to the RV's A/C/heat pumps should be completed next Tuesday. All the parts will be in and the repairmen has offered to show me how to clean the ac/heat pump coils myself. This will save us about $100 on each of the two units, which needs to be done annually.

It was scorching hot the other day when I installed a mud guard that hangs under the rear of the RV. It's as wide as the RV and should keep rocks/debris from being thrown up by our RV's wheels and hitting the toad. I'll come back to the controversy and why I say 'should' in just a minute.

I've also installed hardware on the screen door to minimize bugs getting into the RV, which might come in handy in Alaska where the state bird is the mosquito...  I have everything needed to install a CB radio and a "T" adapter to our propane system. The CB will be useful for communicating with the other couple who is joining us on our Alaska trip. Or we are joining them on their Alaska trip -- I'm not sure which. 

The T adapter allows me to add another propane tank to the RV. That way, if we run out of propane I can add propane (which we use for heat/cooking) without moving the RV or waiting till we get to a propane pump. Plus it lets me run the grill off of the main propane source rather than those small propane canisters that cost an arm and a leg. Convenient but pricey.

We have done a preliminary cleaning of the various closets and outside compartments; it's now time to go through and be a little more ruthless. Plus, when we leave the Harley in Montana, I'll have a list of gear we do not need to take with us on our 5000+ mile journey: motorcycle jackets, helmets, etc. That way we'll have plenty of room for all that salmon we'll be catching. Of course, I haven't figured out how we will keep said salmon frozen/cold just yet...

I've also been lubricating anything that needs lubricating using my trusty WD-40 and some grease less slide lube used on the slide outs. 

We accomplished all this while attending the numerous pot lucks and good bye parties, including a pot luck dinner for everyone who attended the Grand Canyon River Rafting Trip, where we exchanged pictures. I've included a picture taken by the trip leader, Wild Man Phil, of me enjoying the 47 degree water. Yee Haw! I also have a few small videos and will try to add them to the blog as well.

Before I go I said I'd say a little bit more about the full width mud flap that is now hanging under the rear of the RV. After I had spent ~$100 and a day's worth of effort to purchase and install the mud flap, I read in one of the on-line RV forums that maybe, just maybe, a full width mud flap kicks up more stones than they block. What, are you kidding me? All I can do is make sure the mud flap has the necessary clearance once the RV is loaded and hope for the best...

We purchased a cover for the toad that shields the windshield, hood, front end and the front sides of the CR-V, which will hopefully keep any rocks/debris that is thrown up by on-coming truck traffic from doing any damage. everything I read and everyone I talked to recommended the toad cover and the mud flap. 

Oh well, we've prepared as best we can. Now we get to see for ourselves how all of these preparations work. Or don't work. We should leave next Wednesday if all goes according to plan and are thinking about going north into Utah on our way to Montana. I'd love to visit Bryce & Zion again plus a few of the other national parks in Utah. My only concern is it may be a little early -- translate that to snowy and/or cold. 

See Ya!

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map