6/9/08

Bassett, VA: A Graveyard for Old Buses


In the Arizona Desert, just outside of Tucson, there is a graveyard for airplanes. Some people call these bone yards or long term storage but eventually, most of these planes will have the most valuable parts salvaged, such as engines, gauges, copper wire, etc, and then be cut up for scrap metals, mostly aluminum. You drive along the hi-way and the planes lie neatly sorted by type over a vast area. And I'm talking big planes, airliners, lined up as neat as can be. Given the ideal desert conditions (except for snakes and scorpions), these planes can sit for decades with minimal deterioration.

Well, driving along the hi-way into Bassett, we found the same type of graveyard for buses, dozens and dozens of them, lined up side-by side. Apparently this is where old, worn-out buses come to die. A few may be recycled, that is purchased by a church or an RV'er who wants to build a custom RV on a bus chassis. Most of these buses appear to have many, many hard miles on them. I would guess most of these diesels have at least 500,000 miles on them before they are retired, many have much more. Any unit selected for recycling would need to be fully re-built, but for someone dreaming of a bus based RV, this is where you would pick up your base unit.

Driving along in some of the most scenic areas of Virginia and then you happen upon this bus graveyard. The picture above was the only place I could safely pull over and take a picture. It doesn't fully capture just how many buses are here.

Not the only old, dilapidated items we found out here either. Both MLA and I have been surprised at the number of businesses that are now closed, windows shuttered, and the buildings and grounds allowed to deteriorate. Always been hard to make a living out here. The few factories they do have are mostly in the same industries like furniture or clothing. And its a common occurrence for these factories to manage their expenses by laying people off for a few weeks and then bringing them back when business picks up. Even when the economy is good its hard to make a living here.

Really makes me appreciate just how fortunate I have been to have a career in the computer industry while it (and I) were growing up. Sometimes it's hard to fully appreciate everything you have been given but I am thankful for my family and for the career that allowed me to support my family.

Even if they didn't like me at my old company -- I tell people they must not have liked me at my old company because they paid me to leave!

I've told anyone who asks, I don't miss everything about my old company, mostly I just miss the people I had the good fortune to get to know and call them my friends.

Until next time -- See Ya!

0 comments:

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map