3/7/08

Alva, FL: Winter Olympics

South Florida is still under water use restrictions; at this campground it meant I could only wash the RV & car on Thursday. So yesterday I checked with the office to make sure Thursday was 'my' day. Sure enough it was, plus they sent a power washer to my site; it wastes less water than using a hose. And by the way, they make water on-site via a reverse osmosis process, so you end up with water that tastes fresh and is soft. Pretty nice.


In any case, I spent three hours washing the RV, risking life & limb not to mention sunburn. Sun was out in force and skies were clear. It was incredibly hot and humid, very little breeze.

Finished washing the vehicles and putting away the equipment, came and inside (ah, I can still remember how incredibly good the AC felt) and after getting some water to drink, I headed for the shower. About halfway through my shower I hear the unmistakable sound of rain on the roof of the coach.


MLA comes in like a kid at Christmas and couldn't stop laughing. Now, she's been laughing a lot on this trip however yesterday she was in hysterics! When we looked outside it was still sunny but raining to beat the band. Kept raining for all of 3 minutes and then stopped. Oh well, it least it rained on a clean RV. Actually, later in the afternoon it did start raining and didn't stop until sunset.

Maybe I can travel to drought stricken areas and get the locals to pay me to wash my RV. I know I can end their streak of rainless days.

Coach still looks great even after the rain however I now know why so many people pay an RV washing service to come on-site and wash the coach. I might pay someone to wax it (it's a huge job) however I'll keep washing it myself.


Not as much to do right around here so tomorrow MLA & I will head over to Ft Myers to see Henry Ford & Thomas Edison's winter homes. I remember reading a long time ago they were good friends. In fact I remember they went camping together, brought along a couple of buddies: Harvey Firestone & President Warren Harding -- Must have been a lot of fun.

After visiting their winter homes & gardens, we'll head over to a museum/exhibit called The Imaginarium. Sounds good based on the local literature, we'll see.

Tonight was the opening ceremony for this campground's "Winter Olympics". It was dusk so the pictures most of the pictures didn't turn out well. It started with someone carrying the 'Olympic Torch', in this case a Tiki Torch. This was followed by a parade of floats, in this case a small fleet of rubber dinghy’s pulled by golf carts. An then more golf carts, motorcycles, scooters, etc. Clearly this group has put their happy hour time to good use.


Tomorrow, the games/competitions begin. Can't wait to see what variations these folks have introduced into that part of the Olympics. Regardless, everyone is having a good time, with and without adult beverages.

See Ya!

0 comments:

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map