11/8/08

Apache Junction, Arizona: Another Day In Paradise or Remote Party With Best Friends

"Another Day In Paradise" is a great way to describe today except I've used that exact wording far too many times. Not that it's not true, both now and in the past, however you'd think I could be just a little more imaginative. Sounds so much like a Jimmy Buffet song... which it is.

Before I jump into other ways of saying " Another Day In Paradise" I want to tell you not everything is perfect when you are traveling around North America. No, not by a long shot.

Tonight a number of my closest friends were getting together for a party at Bill & Tamara's house in Northern Virginia. When I received Tamara's invitation about a month ago I realized we would still be in Arizona.

Enjoying the incredible sunshine and warm weather during our search for the perfect spot to spend the winter, but I digress.

Reluctantly I told everyone Mary Lynn And I would be unable to attend the party.

However I could not forget about the get together so this evening I called Skip who I knew would be there. He passed the phone around and I was able to speak to Bruce, Patrice, Bill, Peter as well as Skip.

How incredibly great was it to hear every one's voice?

Well, you know how it is with people you have a special connection with -- no matter how long it's been since you last spoke to that person, within seconds you pick up the thread of friendship and continue as is you had just spoken to each other earlier this week. Amazing.

Wish I could have been there to see & talk with everyone. Really need the scientists to get cracking on the Star Trek tele-transporter; I'll be the first in line to have one installed in my RV. You see, as much as I miss my friends and family, I cannot imagine not having experienced this last year of travel throughout the US (and a small part of Mexico).

And there's still so much more we want to see. That is, if we can make the money hold out. Having your 401K become a 201K in the time span of a few weeks is no fun at all. I've been practicing for my next job by saying "Would you like fries with that?". Again, I digress.

Back on point -- I truly miss my friends and family. Makes you realize just how many blessings we have -- hopefully it also ensures I cherish those relationships all the more.

Today we skipped the French Toast breakfast offered at the RV Resort. Instead Mary Lynn and I went to the local Harley dealer "Superstition Harley Davidson". They were having demo rides today and I wanted MLA to see the 2009 Ultra Classics. Not that we have any plans (or money) to buy a new Harley but hey, if they need people to put miles on these brand new motorcycles, I'm willing to sacrifice my time and skills to the cause.

Except they didn't have a 2009 Ultra in the demo pool. All they had was the Screaming Eagle version of the 2009 Ultra, which is the high performance version of a standard model. So I was forced to demo a machine with an even bigger motor, lots of trick performance parts, and a custom paint job. I told you not everything is perfect here in paradise...

Harley's are known for their unique pattern of vibration and I'm happy to report this 2009 Screaming Eagle Ultra maintains that rich legacy. What an incredible ride. Only thing missing was the louder sound that helps ensure people know you are there. There's a reason motorcycle riders say "Loud pipes save lives". MLA loved it (almost) as much as I did.

I looked like a good fiend of mine, John G., who could not wipe the smile from his face for several years after his retirement... I will probably need to go riding again (soon) to maintain the smile.

I know. Maybe I can get a job with Harley taking all their new toys around the country and showing people how to enjoy themselves on a Harley...

The rest of the day in paradise consisted of laying by the pool, using said pool to cool off, and then using the hot tub to warm up, followed by watching a little football, a nap and an excellent dinner.

Topped off with the call to my friends back East, it was perfect (other than Penn State losing). Now if I could only find my 'shaker of salt'...

I am a lucky man... See Ya!

0 comments:

2nd Trip: June 2008 through November 2008


View Wedding 2008 in a larger map

1st Trip -- February 2008 Through April 2008


View Dale & Mary Lynn's Travels in a larger map

Maryland to Arizona to Prince Rupert, BC


View Alaska 2 in a larger map